Well everyone, winter is officially here! Unfortunately, there are some situations that could arise... What if your car breaks down during a snowstorm? What if you got stuck on the road late at night away from other vehicles? What if you ran off the road? Are you prepared? Weather is an uncontrollable variable... we know this. BUT, we can take the proper steps and be prepared for what the season has in store.
A Winter Emergency Kit is something everyone should have. Its a fantastic idea to keep some items in your trunk and others inside your car incase one of the unforseable situations happens to you.
Winter Emergency Kit- what to keep inside the vehicle:
- Blankets- 'survival' blankets are best
- First aid kit
- Flashlight with new batteries
- Ice Scraper and brush
- Road Maps
- Portable Cell Phone Charger
- Cable for your phone to plug into the Portable Charger
Winter Emergency Kit- what to keep in your trunk:
- Booster Cables
- Bottled Water
- Chains for your tires
- Emergency food (granola bars, tea, soup, nuts, etc)
- Extra winter coats, hats, gloves, and boots
- Fire Extinguisher
- Fuil Line Antifreeze
- Reflective Vest
- Road Flairs and/or emergency triangles
- Sand, kitty litter, salt or gravel for traction if you are stuck
- Small Shovel
- 'Survival Candle' and matches- These can burn up to 36 hours and can be used to melt snow for drinking or to be added to dehydrated soup mixes and hot chocolate.
- Tow Chain
- Waterproof matches
- Windshield Washer Fluid
Sudden weather changes and suden vehicle problems can make winter driving dangerous, but you'll be better prepared to handle these challenges with a good winter survival kit. Remember, if something does happen, yo uhave a better chanc e of being found near your vehicle. So stay there, and stay warm and fed with the items inside your kit!